Sunday 18 February 2007

Procrastination

I spent my whole day today telling myself I'd get my laundry, assignment, hair, cleaning, etc done. I haven't done any of that and now I'm kicking myself for it. I'm not too surprised with my self though. For as long as I can remember I've been a chronic procrastinator and it's got such a hold on me that I hope to do something about it some day. Probably some time soon. I work well under pressure though and if there's no reason to rush I relax until it's too late.. hence I always get to work or to lectures if not late, then just on time. I've got no sense of urgency, I guess I'm too laid back.

When I was a kid I'd only get out of the house to go to school when everyone was in the car and the dogs had gone deaf with all the hooting of the car horn. I'd have my shoes, socks, comb, bag and lunch box in my hands and my blazer tucked under my arm. Then my mum would have her daily go at me in the car about how I should be "jagged up" (don't ask me what that means, your guess is as good as mine) and how "everyday is a new day", as in I acted as if I didn't know the same old routine of getting ready for school each morning.. or at least that's what I thought she meant, Lol! Then we'd get to school and my mum would open her door (passengers side) and fix my collar then she'd lick her thumb and use it to wipe something off my face and to neaten my eyebrows. Had I been quicker in getting ready in the mornings, this routine inspection would have taken place at home beyond the view of all my friends. But still I never learnt and to this day I still take ages getting ready.

Back to today.. It was a peaceful Sunday. I eventually got up at midday and when I emerged from my room 30 minutes later, I told myself, loads of times, that I'd get all the stuff I needed to do done before 6:30pm when we went to church. I could still get them done now, it's only 8:45pm and there's still time. I'll just watch the news first and finish my hot chocolate then I'll get everything done.. eventually.

No comments: